Wednesday, August 26, 2015

First dental visit


He only bit the hygienist one time. ;)
I took Rhett to see Dr. Kifer for the first time.  We all had appointments at the same time, and at his new office there are plenty of rooms to split us up.  It's pretty open, and Rhett was beside me in the next room, so I could here what was going on.  He was asking why he needed the blue bib, and the hygienist explained that she didn't want to get toothpaste on his clothes.  Then I heard her say, "Why are you taking your shoes off?"  He said, "Because I don't want toothpaste on my shoes."  He was cracking her up.  I heard her say once, "Owww, you bit me."  Oh my word!  She asked what his favorite movie was, and she couldn't understand that he said Big Hero 6.  He kept repeating it, and I thought, "Oh, lady please figure it out, or he is going to go off on you!"  He doesn't like to be misunderstood.  She finally got it, and I breathed a sigh of relief.  So, the kids were done before me, and the poor hygienist had the privilege of taking them out to the lobby (Rhett in his sock feet) to choose treats from the treasure box while my cleaning got wrapped up.  I could hear the the office ladies getting tickled at whatever he was saying.  They asked him what his name was and he said, "PBS kids."  What in the world???  On that note, one weekend we were down in Hope, and the kids went to Bible class there.  Cole later told me, that one of the elder's precious wife had been his teacher.  She asked Cole what his nephews name was, and I'm pretty sure when I dropped him off I had introduced him as Rhett.  Of course, Cole told her his name, and she felt like she should have already known that.  Anyway, during class she asked him what his name was and he said, "Stinky Pants."  Good grief!  She said he was very adamant about it, and even when she tried to trick him and call him a different name thinking he would correct her, he stuck with it.  "I'm Stinky Pants."  Mortifying!  The only explanation I have other than he is truly a stinky pants literally and figuratively is that people do have trouble understanding him when he says his name.  He always says, "My name is Rhett Law Harriman."  But it sounds like Wet Waw Hawwiman.  And it annoys him when people don't understand.  I can understand him perfectly, but he is my son.  But Dr. Lovell mentioned getting a speech eval at his last well child check-up, and I took him to Julie's clinic to have him tested, but he didn't qualify for speech yet.  Apparently you have until age 7 or even 8 to develop r's and l's.  So no speech yet, and no cavities either.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment