Sunday, September 27, 2015

A Sad Day

Smocked football players and cheerleaders
If you've kept up with this blog or know me at all, you understand my affinity for children's clothes, and smocking in particular.  Or maybe you don't understand it, many don't.  In our own family, I get eye rolls and "don't you think he's a little too old for that" comments.  I just smile, and say something like, "they're only little once" or "he's only 3!!!" if I 'm feeling spicy. Because I do know these pieces have their age limits.  And those limits had to be adjusted since moving from Mississippi.  You might see elementary aged boys wear longalls and jon jons with glorious smocking (these boys also had bangs, but whatever).  Not in Arkansas.  You can barely find smocking for babies in NWA.  It's just not a thing here, but I shop mostly online, so it hasn't slowed me down.  But in my mind, I have always thought 2-3 years for my boy.  Especially since he is not, ahem, a delicate flower.  He is a rough and tumble and "big" boy.  So, I don't think I have bought any new smocking for him in the age of 3.  Now, he does still have a few pieces that he can still wear, and by golly, will wear until he outgrows.  In my mind, for ME, I thought kindergarten would probably be the end.  I would say I haven't bought any for her in the age of 6, but I did buy a Christmas dress for this year with schmocked Santa hats.  And I thought I could get away with it.  Until today. :(  She doesn't give me too much fuss about clothes, but she has said lately that she wants to wear "pretty" things, not "cute" things.  So, I had the above dress out for church this morning.  When I said it was time to get dressed she said, "not that dress, Mama.  I don't like dresses with the cute stuff around the top anymore.  Those are for babies.  I want to wear pretty dresses."  I tried to downplay it.  She said, "You can't even wear a necklace with those dresses."  Guess who quick fast (Junie B. reference) grabbed her locket and put it on? ;)  I whined and explained how those were my faaavorite dresses, and please wear it, and I promise I won't buy anymore, but I want you to wear the ones you have while they still fit.  And that was that.  The end of an era.  Boo hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment