Friday, December 16, 2011

Elf on the Floor

Most of you probably know about The Elf on the Shelf. It's a book about how Santa knows if you're naughty or nice. It comes with an elf that flies to the North Pole each night to report to Santa and flies back and lands in a new spot in the morning to watch you. I love this guy! He gets Mary Ella to take her medicine, stop whining, and helps out in lots of other fun situations. Now, I'm not the type of person that gets creative with discipline. I'm pretty old school. But right now I'm tired and my patience is pretty thin, so I don't mind a little extra motivation from Santa and his elf. ME loves getting up in the morning and finding the elf. She gets excited and says, "Oh, there is the elf!" She can't seem to come up with a name for him. You're supposed to name your elf, but the only thing she has ever said is Numeroff (as in Laura Numeroff, one of her favorite authors)...maybe next year she'll be more interested, but right now he is just elf. So, the only rule about the elf is that you can't touch him or he loses his magic. This is not a problem because he usually appears in a spot that is out of her reach. WELL, one day this week he was perched on top of the armoire in her bedroom. It seemed to be a safe enough place, until we got her shoes for the day out of it and closed the doors a little too hard...Splat! Elf fell off, flat on his face. You should have seen HER face. It was priceless. Mine was probably pretty funny too, because I thought, "Oh no, how am I going to handle this?" She didn't get upset, she didn't rush to pick him up. We both just froze and didn't know what to do. She wanted to help, but she was afraid to touch him. I assured her that the elf was okay, and that it was probably okay to touch him just this once since he needed our help. I told her that would be the nice thing to do, and Santa would be proud we helped him. Then I told her to wait and ran and got my camera. Her face cracks me up in every one of these pictures. She picked him up, and I put him back on top of the armoire. We ended up laughing about the elf bonking his head, and she was so excited that she got to touch him! Too funny!











You would have thought she was holding something priceless...she's not even that gentle with her baby brother!

1 comment: