Thursday, May 5, 2011

Strawberry Trifle

Yesterday, Mary Ella and I hosted a lunch/play date at our house. I love to entertain, but didn't get to do it much in Little Rock. I'm hoping to be better about having friends over here, atleast until the baby comes. ;) I made a salad, chicken salad on croissants, and fruit salad. It was not the relaxing lunch with friends I had envisioned as most of our conversations were interrupted by chasing toddlers, but it was fun to have everyone over in the new house. Shelley and Emma, Rebecca and Cullen, and Rachel and Max were able to come. We missed Sara, Addison, and baby Emma, but maybe they will make it next time.

My favorite part of lunch, other than the company, yummy strawberry trifle. I fell in love with this dessert when Linda Argo brought it to a church potluck years ago. She is one of the best cooks I know, next to both of my grandmothers. Anything she makes is sure to be delish, and I don't think she would mind me sharing this recipe. I promise, it will make you happy! But first, I have to share a funny story about my pregnancies and this trifle. I was huge and pregnant the last time we moved from Madison, and before we left we had our Life Group over for dinner at our house. I can't remember what I made, but I do know I requested that Linda bring the strawberry trifle. I was thrilled when there was quite a bit left, and I was not shy in asking her to leave the leftovers with us! I was to the point in pregnancy that I couldn't eat too much at meals, so I remember that I didn't get to enjoy much of it that night. But that was okay, because I had the leftovers to enjoy the next day! Are you getting how much I love this thing? Well, when I got up the next morning I was horrified to see that Brad had eaten ALL of it! And he doesn't even LIKE strawberries! I was so upset that I cried! I was heartbroken that he would STEAL something made specifically for ME! Obviously, some pregnancy hormones were involved in my breakdown, but it's funny that I have recently been dying to have this trifle again. You should try it too!

Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle

By: Linda Argo


2 pkgs (8 oz) cream cheese

2 c confectioner's sugar

8 oz sour cream

1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 tsp almond extract

8 oz cool whip

3 Tbsp sugar

1 angel food cake, cut into bite size pieces

2 qts fresh strawberries, thinly sliced


In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioner's sugar until fluffy. Add sour cream, vanilla, and almond extract. Fold cool whip into cream cheese mixture. Gently stir in cake pieces. Set aside. Combine strawberries and sugar. Layer in a large glass bowl, starting and ending with strawberries. Cover with plastic wrap and chill well.


(She fixes the strawberries first and divides them equally into 4 cereal bowls. After she gets the cake/cheese mix ready, she separates the mix within the bowl into 3 sections. If you do this you will have a trifle with all equal layers- 4 layers of strawberries and 3 of cake/cheese mix. I did this, but I don't think my layers were exactly even...maybe I will get better. But who cares if it tastes this good?)


Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Ooo, it was so good! thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll make it soon. yeah right!

    ReplyDelete