Tuesday, March 6, 2012

A Big First

This is Rhett on Monday morning. First night in his crib. In his room. First night in his sleep sack. Without being swaddled. First night to put himself to sleep. And sleep all night. First night to put himself back to sleep in the night. Without paci help and Mommy. Yes! We did it! I wanted so badly to brag about it yesterday, but I was afraid it might be a fluke. But, no, he's just that easy and sweet and good. It is glorious! We have been putting him down between 7 and 8 (same as ME) and the first night he slept until 5:45 and this morning I didn't even hear him until 6:15. And even then he didn't even cry when he woke up. He was sleeping that long in our room too, but I never thought it would be so easy to transition him to his room. He slept swaddled in our room in the pack in play by my side of the bed. I heard him every time he moved, and I had been getting up a couple times at night to give him his paci. So I expected to have to do the same thing if not more. I didn't know if I would be up every 30 minutes or 2 hours or what. And I expected screaming. Oh, how Mary Ella screamed and cried when we moved her to her crib and stopped swaddling. It was about a 3 week process and very painful for all involved. But I think we waited too long...until she was 6 months old. All along I thought it was just easier to have them close so I could stick a paci in, but it's waaaaaayyyyyy easier to teach them to self-soothe. Well, maybe not easy to teach, but it's easier once they learn. I remember feeling like I got my life back when ME turned 6 months (because she moved out of our room and I could sleep), and even after 2 nights with Rhett in his room I feel so much better. I just can't sleep good until they are OUT! And I NEED my sleep! Good job Rhett, I think I love you even more now! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment