Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mitchell Farms

Last Monday, Susan, Kristy, and I drove to Collins, MS to take the kids to Mitchell Farms.  When Kristy asked me if I thought she was crazy for wanting to drive an hour and a half to a pumpkin patch when we have one nearby, I told her that we were always up for a field trip.  And Mitchell Farms was waaay more than a pumpkin patch. It was bigger and better than anything we could have imagined.  We spent almost all day there, and the kids had a blast!  We will definitely be going back each year.

We took a tractor-pulled wagon ride around the beautifully amazing farm.  They grow everything from peanuts to pumpkins to soy beans and sunflowers.
It was a little chilly on the hay ride that morning, so Mommy and Rhett snuggled under his blanket.
The photo ops were endless!  I know this post is way past picture overload, but I got tired of trying to delete pics, so you'll see the whole she-bang here.  There are especially a lot of the boy.  How can you get rid of pics from a baby's first pumpkin patch?

Miles and ME, bffs






Silly faces





Cinderella's pumpkin coach!
This was one of those farms that has a serious corn maze.  It was actually in the shape of Cinderella's coach.  We didn't let the littles loose in that part!  Heck, I don't think I would want to try it either.  I say "no" to children of the corn.
Mitchell Farms Pumpkin Patch and Corn Maze, Collins, Mississippi
 

How cool is that?
 


Time to pick our punknics!



Rhett eating dirt.  You'd be surprised what he ate that day, very surprised.



Mmm...dirt







He was way too busy to look at the camera.


Crunchy




He tried to eat a pumpkin stem too.


Braydon, Carson, Miles, ME- these kids played HARD

Love this


They rode a train around the pumpkin patch.

Rhett hung out in the wagon.





Wild man!

Watching the train go by


Pumpkin booty


It's heavy!

ME picked a small one.












After picking our pumpkins, we made our way to the kids play area.  It was awesome!  They had slides, tire swings, see saws, swinging ropes, dirt piles with tractors, a corn pool, tee pees, hay maze, goat feeding, animal barn, and more. 


She would have gone down this slide a hundred times!


 
 While we were eating our picnic lunches, we attracted some friendly bees.  The lady on the tour said their farm was home to many bees because they pollinate the pumpkins.  We didn't notice until we sat down and got the food out.  They were especially interested in Rhett's baby food.  At first, I tried to shoo them away.  But they were very diligent and seemed harmless.  I didn't want to make them mad, so I tried not to freak out...I figured it was best to try to be still and calm.  Well, that is hard when they are lighting on your baby!  Two, actually, landed on his hand and he leaned down to take one in his mouth!  Yes, my son tried to eat a bee!!!  And he started crying immediately, so I knew it stung him.  I could see the sting on the inside of his lip, and then I saw what was in his mouth.  The bee!!!  Ahhh!  I had to dig it out of his mouth.  He cried and cried.  And I prayed and prayed he wasn't about to have some crazy allergic reaction.  My friend Kristy was calm.  She said with all the bees around they were sure to have something for stings in the gift shop.  The lady behind the counter was armed with all kinds of stuff.  We put oragel on his lip and gave him some Benadryl.  I know it hurt because he just kept crying and didn't want to suck his paci.  Susan and Kristy took ME to play while I closely monitored Rhett.  I wrapped him in his blanket and we found a place to swing.  He finally fell asleep.  His lip was very swollen, so I googled "allergic reaction to bees" and called Dr. Smith's nurse.  She said we would have known almost immediately if he was going to have an allergic reaction.  Swelling at the site was normal, and he didn't have any swelling elsewhere or hives or difficulty breathing.  Thank God, he is not allergic.  I mean nobody wants their baby to eat a bee and get stung on the lip because it hurts, but after his allergic reaction I go into Mommy panic mode.
So, that pretty much was the end of Rhett's fun for the day.  He was better after his cat nap, but this is the way he looked.  Pretty pitiful.  The following pictures I stole from Kristy and Susan.  Amazingly enough, ME did not let brother's injury slow her down. ;) She had a ball with her boy friends and got completely filthy in the process!





Thank you Mitchell Farms for a fun, fun, fall day!

No comments:

Post a Comment