Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Easter with Cousins

This was the day I was reunited with my loves! Mary Ella kept hugging me and saying, "Mommy, you came back!" over and over. I guess she thought I was gone for good. ;) Rhett gave me a blank stare and then slowly warmed up. Gigi had surprised all of us with an Easter lunch and treats in the kids' baskets the Sunday before Easter. I hated that both kids were sick, and we were rushing to get home but I'm glad we got to have an egg hunt with the cousins. This crew has grown by 2 since last Easter! And then we got to have a mini-Easter with Mia, Super Uncle Cole, and Aunt Jenn when we spent the night in Hope.
This picture will always be a reminder of "the green bean incident." Let me explain... In an effort to get ME to eat a wider variety of foods we have a new rule in our house, well not that new. She has to try at least one bite of every food on her tray...that would be whatever we are eating during a given meal. I know this is probably not the best way to make a better eater out of her, but it's the way we've chosen because it seemed impossible to force her to eat what we wanted her to. Sometimes it works, sometimes it's torture. And I think we're both surprised when she actually finds something she likes. Well, Gigi had bragged early in the week about how good she was eating, but I guess by the end it was a losing battle. I feel your pain, Rita. Anyway, for lunch we had ham, hash brown casserole, corn casserole, green bean bundles, and rolls. I fixed ME a plate and in an effort to re-establish dominance, I suppose, I decided to stick to the rule. The corn and hash browns went down easy, but the ham and green beans...not so much. It involved a trip upstairs and some crying, but she had a bite of everything on her tray. Then she was free to eat what she chose from her plate, but the cousins were already done and ready to get in their Easter baskets. I told them to go ahead. So, she ate more potatoes, corn, and green beans on her own. I don't know why she forced herself to eat green beans, but she did. And she was proud of it. And then she tried to eat another green bean and just couldn't get it down. She does that...it likes she's doing good and then all of a sudden she decides she can't handle one more bite and wants to spit it out. I'm not about that. So, I told her to chew and swallow the green bean, and she wouldn't. She wanted to spit it out, but I wouldn't let her. I realize this was a silly battle, and it didn't help that the poor thing was sick and emotional. But I didn't budge and neither did she. So, by this time the kids were REALLY ready to hunt eggs. I thought surely if I let her get up and open her basket and see the candy and hunt the eggs, that she would just swallow the dang green bean. Nope. She was still hanging onto it in the cousin picture. And during the egg hunt. It was a weird and silent egg hunt. And as she opened her eggs she would show me the candy, and I would say just swallow the green bean and you can eat some. Nothing. Julie finally did some kind of karate chop/OT move on her and she swallowed it and was fine. But it will forever be known as the green bean Easter. Fun times!

No comments:

Post a Comment