Monday, June 3, 2013

Remembering

 We were in Fayetteville for Memorial Day weekend, and on Monday, Rhett and I rode with Gigi and Papa out to Madison County to put out flowers at the cemeteries.  Rhett, you come from a fine line of American service men.  Your great-grandpa Harriman served in the Navy during WWII, your great-grandpa Smith fought in Korea, and your great-grandpa Law was a paratrooper in WWII and survived the Battle of the Bulge. Please never forget their bravery and sacrifice for your freedom.



 The Tuesday after Memorial Day, my "Maud grandpa" Bobby Robinson passed away.  I was so sad, but thankful that he died peacefully while his precious wife was fixing him breakfast.  Brad dropped the kids and me off at my mom's, so I could spend some time visiting with Michelle and her family.  He was such a sweet man and so, so special to so many people.  I'm never in Hope long enough to sneak away to visit Law's Chapel, but I took the kids there on Wednesday before we headed to Maud to see Lurlene.  We took some pictures and had a picnic at the picnic table overlooking the church and cemetery.



My grandfather's family founded this church in 1853.  They also began the Atlanta Tribune, and Daddy Law was the mayor of Atlanta and started the Atlanta Library when I was a young girl.  I tried to explain to Mary Ella that this is where Rhett got the "Law" in his name.  I wondered how to explain a cemetery to her, but as we held hands and walked I told her I had something I wanted to show her.  All I could think to say was that this is the place we come to remember Poppy Law.  She didn't have any questions.  I wonder when those will come?     
 
 

 
 
Daddy Law and Mimi's marker
 


My Marys

It was a beautiful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment