Saturday, November 12, 2011

Rhett's Birthday

Warning: If you don't want the details of Rhett's L&D just scroll down to the pictures...

This is me at probably 6:00 in the morning on Friday, November 4th, getting ready to deliver Rhett, but this story starts on Thursday. Well, I'll back up until Tuesday. I saw Dr. Cole and still wasn't dilated, so we were going back on Monday to have a sonogram, check his weight, and make a plan for induction. I really didn't want to be induced, especially if I wasn't dilated, but it would have been convenient for family to make it and have Mary Ella taken care of. And all along Dr. Cole reminded me that if I waited to go into labor on my own I might not make it to the hospital in time to get my epidural, especially as fast as ME came the first time. So, we went along with our week thinking Rhett's birthday would probably be the following Thursday, November 10th. I got my house mostly decorated for Christmas. All I needed to do was put up and decorate the trees and then get the house clean before company and Rhett arrived. Well, my friend, Ann Elise, was in town and she came by Wednesday for a little visit. I got to see Michael, and I asked her if she was going to Mistletoe (a Christmas shopping extravaganza at the Mississippi Trademart. LOVE IT!). I was thrilled when we made plans to go together Thursday afternoon. Shelley even volunteered to keep ME while we shopped. Perfect! Brad told me not to "overdo" it. I basically laughed and said it wouldn't really matter if I went into labor at this point...I was almost 39 weeks. I thought it might atleast make me start dilating, and that would be a good thing. And I had missed the Canton Flea Market in October for fear of inducing labor, so there was no way I was missing Mistletoe if I was still able to go. So I met Ann Elise at 2:30, and we shopped for about 3 hours and had the best time! I found everything I was looking for and more (of course)! We were enjoying visiting so much we decided to have dinner at Biaggi's (little did I know my last date night would be with AE and not my husband)! Ha! When we got in the car she asked how I was feeling, and I said "tight." I had a few contractions that night when I got home, but nothing worse than I had been having at the end of busy days. I had alot of Braxton Hicks this time! When I went to bed that night I was still contracting, but not hurting and not enough to keep me awake or make me worry. I woke up at 2 am to go to the bathroom, and I could tell I was having contractions. I got back in bed and tried to see if they were regular and close together. They were. I wasn't too worried until my head started to pound, and I got dizzy and felt like I might pass out. That's when I woke Brad up, 2:30 am. I told him what was happening and he immediately wanted to call the doctor. I sat up in bed and was no longer dizzy, so I said, "let's just wait and time the contractions for a while." He got his watch, and we timed 7 in 17 minutes. Time to call the doctor. I got up, got ready, and gathered everything we needed. I was mostly packed, but I'm so glad I made a list of last minute things to remember because I sure needed that list at 3 am! Brad called our friend, Rebecca, and she immediately came over. I don't know what we would have done without her! I was really hoping we hadn't woken her up in the middle of the night for a false alarm, but we hadn't. I did have a moment of doubt as we were driving over the Reservoir. I thought, "hmm...I don't think I've had a contraction in a while." And then, Bam! I had a big one and knew it was for real! We entered through the back door of the hospital, and I walked in and signed the check-in papers at 3:42. I asked the lady at the desk, "Where is the anesthesiologist?" I thought I was just joking, but by the time they checked me I was an 8!!! The nurse said, "Do you really want to know?" I was thinking, "oh please don't let me be a 10!!! I want an epidural!" I was assured I would get one, we just had to wait on the anesthesiologist. So, things started happening really fast after that. Brad called the grandparents at 4:00 and told them that we were about to have a baby. Nurses were shoving paperwork in my face. I could have signed my life away and never would have known it. I had one lady working on one arm trying to draw blood and two on the other trying to start an i.v. When they hooked me up to the monitor the nurse said, "Wow! You are contracting hard!" Yes, I was! I was really nervous about getting my water broken, but thankfully that happened on its own. I got my epidural around 5 and felt much better. The on-call doctor was a man. Shoot! I really wanted Dr. Cole, and I REALLY didn't want that grouchy man to deliver (he was very groggy when we called and was not in the best of moods). He basically waited over me and the anesthesiologist until my epidural kicked in, checked me, and I was a 10. I basically could have been a 10 when I got my epidural...glad they didn't check beforehand! So, he left and the nurses got everything ready. Then guess who showed up? Dr. Cole at 6:10! Evidently she checks her phone as soon as she wakes up, and she can see who has checked in at the hospital. She literally rolled out of bed, no make-up, and came to the hospital just to deliver Rhett! LOVE her! And after 3 rounds of pushing, we heard Rhett's sweet cry at 6:22 am. He was MAD! And I can understand why...he had the cord wrapped around his neck. He looked a little blue to me, but Dr. Cole said it is fairly common and wasn't pinched, so he wasn't under any stress. He was still crying when I held him for the first time, but after getting a little cleaned up and wrapped up, he was peaceful in my arms. We were so happy to meet him! And even though he looked exactly as I had pictured him (with a head full of thick, black hair), it was still a little shocking to see it confirmed. He looks EXACTLY like his daddy! Where I am in him, I don't know? But we love him to pieces! Oh, what a happy day!



The lovely Dr. Cole
After delivery she said, "That is why I would have liked to induce." And I said, "Why? It was perfect. I went into labor at 2 and had him by 6:30." Then Brad had to mention that I went to Mistletoe, and she sort of got onto me. I think I was used as an example to her patients that day. She told several that they did NOT need to go to Mistletoe. Ha! She came back to check on me later that day, and even on Saturday. Best.doctor.ever.

Mary Ella weighed 7 lbs. 6 oz. one day early. He weighed 7 lbs. 8 oz. 11 days early. He was definitely on track to be an 8 pounder.

He has huge feet! As long as his daddy's middle finger!

Ann Elise, Rhett's first visitor, and my shopping partner in crime
You will always be a part of Rhett's L&D story. I'm so glad it all happened the way it did! Thanks, friend, for being there on our special day! I'm so happy I got to see you 3 days in a row!


We had some time to spend with Rhett when we got in our room before the family arrived. And it sounded like Mary Ella had a super fun time with Rebecca until Gigi, Papa, and JuJu arrived to pick her up.

Meeting Gigi for the first time


And Papa



The big sister surprises were a BIG hit!

Gotta love the $1 bins at Target!

JuJu and Rhett

Even though she got woken up at 4 am and drove 8 hours, Julie was still excited to meet her new nephew!




And these are my favorites...I couldn't delete any of them! Mary Ella was SO excited to finally meet baby Rhett!


Checking out his feet

And holding his hand


Can you say swollen? For some reason I swell AFTER I have the baby, plus I had been up since 2 and you can tell it. Still love these pictures of our new family!



Mia arrived later that evening, but for some reason I didn't get a picture of her and Rhett until the next day. Welcome to the world and happy birthday, sweet boy! It was a long, exciting day that we will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment