Monday, November 14, 2011

7 Days with Rhett

Sweet Rhett,
What a wonderful first week we have had! You gave us a little trouble the first 2 nights we were home, but I think it was more us getting used to having a baby in the house again than you. The mommy in me can't sleep if you are making a sound (I think you are choking or having trouble breathing), so I couldn't sleep unless you were sleeping and you really weren't fond of your basinette. Plus I think you had your days and nights mixed up. You weren't even crying but stirring and fussing a little, but as soon as we picked you up you stopped. Which is sweet, but doesn't make for much mommy and daddy sleepy time. So, we made a few changes, and you are doing so well at night and during the day. We are keeping you awake some during the day, I'm feeding you every 2-3 hours, and then we do bath before bedtime. It's working so far because you are only eating every 3-5 hours at night. Which is basically one middle of the night and one early morning feeding. Here is our first week in review:

Day 1: See your birthday post.

Day 2: You got circumcised in the morning. Ouch! It didn't seem to bother you too much because you slept all day. Gigi, Papa, Mia, Juju, and Mary Ella came back to the hospital to see you. You snuggled with one of us all day.

Your sister gave you lots of kisses and hugs. She says all the time, "I wanna hold Baby Rhett." And then she says, "All done."

We compared your hair with Dada's hair.


Everyone dressed in Razorback red for game day!





Woo pig sooie!

Razorbacks!



Arkansas played and beat South Carolina. The tv in our hospital room was so small that we pulled the bed up as close as we could and gathered chairs around it. It was a night game so Mia went home and put your sister to bed, but Gigi, Papa, and Juju brought barbecue to the hospital and watched the game with us.


Day 3: We got to go home on Sunday just like with Mary Ella. I guess my babies like to be born on Friday. We were home by noon and had lunch with the family. Rebecca, Jake, and Hallie came by to meet you.



Ready to go see your house and your room

One last surprise for the big sister



Trying out your crib for the first time


And stretching out on your changing table


Day 4: We said goodbye to Gigi and Papa and Juju, but only for a little while. They are coming back to see you for Thanksgiving. We stayed in our pajamas and had a lazy day. We needed to catch up on some sleep. Mia gave you your first bath.

You did not like it!

Until you got your hair washed. :)



Day 5: We had to take you back to Woman's Hospital to the Newborn Clinic for a weight and billirubin check. You weighed 6 lbs. 13 oz. when we left the hospital and were now back to 7 lbs. 1 oz. Yay! They had to scrape your heal to get a blood sample, and you didn't even cry. Your levels were high, so you did have jaundice. I knew this before we left the hospital, but by this day you were peeing and pooping and eating well, so I knew it would work itself out. When we got home we took a few family photos, rested, and then had another appointment at Sweet Dreams. I signed up weeks ago to do hand imprints with Mitzi, but I really didn't think you would be around on November 8th. I thought it would just be for ME, but I'm so glad I got yours done too! Talk about fresh prints! You never made a peep when she pushed your hand and foot into the clay. And it was Mia's birthday, so we celebrated with PF Chang's and a piece of Great Wall of Chocolate Cake.





Day 6: We had another lazy day. Mia took ME to storytime and Dada went back to work, so I had you all to myself for the morning. You started waking up a little more on this day.




Night night swaddle time

Day 7: We had to take you back to the Newborn Clinic to check on the jaundice. Your levels were about the same, but since they weren't going up we didn't have to go back until we see your pediatrician at 2 weeks. You had gained weight and were up to 7 lbs. 5 oz. Makes me so proud! This night you went on a date night with Mommy and Daddy...to our infant CPR class. Ha! Didn't get that one in before you were born, but you were perfect through dinner and the class. We ate at Ichiban, which is a Chinese buffet. I don't like Chinese or buffets, but your daddy had been requesting this for a long time. And since I was no longer preggers, I let him have the final say. Funny story: You were sitting on my side of the booth in your carseat, covered with a blanket. At the end of the meal, I got up to get ice cream for dessert. As I was walking back to our booth I spotted your daddy back at the buffet. I said, "What are you doing?" And he had a scared look on his face and said, "Oh, I forgot." Umm...he forgot you were there, back at the booth, all alone. I'm sorry, Rhett.


Thank you for a wonderful first week, Rhett! And thank you, God, for giving us yet another healthy, beautiful baby! We are overcome by joy and thankfulness for the opportunity to guide your precious soul. You are the perfect addition to our family, and we love you sooo much!

1 comment: