Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Madison Shower

Our last Sunday at the Madison Church of Christ


Four years ago we moved to Madison and were stunned not to find a church in a town of 25,000. In Texas and Arkansas even the smallest towns have a church of Christ. I remember driving around trying to find the church and after realizing there was not one to be found I said jokingly to Brad, "Well, we'll just have to start one." We did find a wonderful church home in Ridgeland and met what would become some of our dearest friends. That church family is what made our move and transition so easy.


A few months after we moved, talk started about really starting a church in Madison. It wasn't our idea, so please don't think we take any of the credit, but evidently many of the members from Madison had dreamed of starting a church in their town for years. It just so happened we moved in at the right time to be a part of it. We had our first worship in November of 2005 in the old Madison Station school building. What began as a group of about 50 soon grew to 80 to 100 to about 130. In October we hired our first full-time minister, and by October this year the church will have installed elders. We have bought a beautiful piece of land on Reunion Parkway and building plans are in the works. God's family is alive and strong in Madison! We feel so blessed to have been apart of this wonderful experience. Needless to say this work has brought us very close to so many, and we are very sad to leave. Last Sunday the church honored Brad and me with a going away party/baby shower/potluck. Thank you all so much! May God continue to bless the church at Madison. You will always hold a special place in our hearts!





This is one of the 3 sweet homemade blankets Mary Ella received. So special!


This was also a handmade gift of love. Look at the smocking and ribbon work around the collar and sleeves! Thank you Mrs. Kay and Mrs. Marilyn!


I love this homemade photo album! Mrs. Cox is in the process of monogramming more stuff for Mary Ella. The girl is definetely going to know her name!


This is a blue flowered Kissie Kissie dress from "Red," our precious 91-year-old friend. I know his daughter-in-law bought it, but I can guarantee that he had some input on what he wanted to give us. He's just super sweet like that. My mother-in-law is also red-headed, and when he met her at the shower he said, "I didn't know you were going to have a red head." He said he wanted a red-headed, blue eyed little girl to match the dress. "And don't disappoint," he told me. He's adorable! We'll have to wait and see about the hair, Red!

5 comments:

  1. Aww...that is so sweet! I have to say, though, that I am very excited about y'all moving b/c we're in LR so often! Oh, and we have a little blue-eyed red head, and I think it's just the prettiest combination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That alphabet blanket is precious. A keepsake for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jess, I can't believe you've left. I can so sympathize. Just another wonderful adventure for you and Brad. Mary Ella's door hanger and little piggy signs are next on my list. Right now I'm water coloring Crosby's second birthday invitations. As questions come up about the paintings, I'll be getting in touch to make sure we have everything just right for baby girl. I love you and miss you, AE

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look great! I miss you and hope things are going well!

    ReplyDelete